Water scarcity has become a serious problem in recent days. Ground water level is reaching alarming levels due to excessive usage for agriculture and domestic purposes. Rain water harvesting is a good solution to increase the ground water level. Jalabharati is a group of like-minded people that is working for this cause.
- To create JalaSaksharatha (Education),
- JalaJagriti (Awareness), and
- JalaSamrakshan (Conservation) among students, teachers, farmers and general public.
- Constructing percolation ponds, recharging ground or open wells and bore wells though rooftop rainwater harvesting structures.
- Showcasing models for rainwater harvesting at schools, houses, and temples for public awareness
- Rejuvenation of defunct open wells/bore wells maintaining cleanliness in and around public water sources such as tanks, open wells and bore wells.
- Conducting land-water survey -finding out the causes for water scarcity in the region- adopting suitable measures to tackle the issues.
- Rejuvenation of traditional rainwater harvesting structures
- Use of fewer chemicals in agriculture. Less dependence on bore well water and encouraging inorganic farming
- Planting local samplings to allow the rainwater to infiltrate into ground
- Organized 4state level workshops to train the people in the field of water conservation
- 128 awareness programs
- 784 teachers, 7,464 students, 3570 farmers and general public participated in the programs.
Locations: Bengaluru, Mangaluru, Manipal, Udupi and other places
- Harvest rainwater at your workplace / home
- Organize awareness campaigns and showcase models for rainwater harvesting at schools, residential areas, temples
- Plant local samplings to allow the rainwater to infiltrate into ground
- Involve as a volunteer in rejuvenation of traditional rainwater harvesting structures in rural areas
- Conduct land-water survey to findout the causes for water scarcity in the region- adopting suitable measures to tackle the issues.
- Involve in awareness activities as a resource person
- Visit villages and give a demo on rain water harvesting to farmers
- Create literature related to water harvesting such as articles, slogans, songs etc.,